In this episode, Dr. Steve Petrie dives deeper into the 4R's of nutrient stewardship for phosphorus fertilizers.
- What is the Right Rate?
- What are the Right Sources?
- What is the Right Placement?
- What is the Right Timing
In this episode:
The right rate
- Based on soil test values - make sure to use a reliable laboratory
- Different testing methods will give different values for soil test P
- Fertilizer P on a budget
The right source
- Different sources and forms - water-soluble, citrate-soluble, citrate-insoluble, orthophosphate x polyphosphate
- Which one is better: liquid P or dry P? Or NPK fertilizers?
The right placement
- Band x broadcast
- Placement depends on soil test and budget
The right timing
- Planting is generally good timing
- Research work shows benefits of mid-season foliar P
Why is Phosphorus Important for Plant Health?
See all Yara podcasts