Molten salt for Solar Power: Reducing solar thermal energy costs through improved solar technology
A new generation of molten salts has been developed by Yara and proven to reduce the cost of solar power generated using Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) technology.
This new generation of solar technology provides several technical improvements over binary salts. Used as heat transfer fluid (HTF) for the storage and transfer of solar thermal power, the ternary molten salts push down solar power costs through improved performance, lower life-cycle costs and increased safety. Tests prove the cost efficacy of this blend in generating cheaper solar power electricity.
Proven performance benefits of solar thermal power generation using Yara’s Solar Power Molten Salt:
- Cheaper molten salt mix means cheaper solar energy
- Lower melting point temperature reduces solar power costs
- Wider temperature range (Wider delta Tª) means you will need less molten salts to produce solar thermal power
These new molten salts give comparable performance to binary salts at high temperatures.
Safety and life-cycle cost benefits of Yara’s Solar Power Molten Salt for solar power systems:
- Increase the lifetime of your solar power plant, thanks to the lower corrosiveness of Solar CSP Molten Salts
- Reduce the risk of molten salt solidification, which was a technical challenge causing plant damage, stoppage and maintenance costs for previous molten salt technologies
Ternary solar molten salts for Concentrated Solar Power (CSP): discover a new generation of solar technology!
Applying a century of nitrates leadership, Yara has developed a new Potassium Calcium Nitrate to be used as a component in the molten salt mix for Concentrating Solar Power (also known as “Concentrated Solar Power” or “CSP”) . This molecule is a major advancement for solar power. This new solar technology solution is a:
- Contains high purity potassium nitrate
Molten salts supply reliability from Yara, the world’s largest nitrates producer
Since it started producing calcium nitrates in 1905, Yara has developed an unrivalled network of production plants around the world. This is served by a logistics system of 200 terminals and warehouses so your Solar Power Molten Salt is delivered to your plant exactly when you need it. Over 24 million tons of Yara products are delivered to over 150 countries through our strong worldwide logistics network.
Choose Yara’s Solar Power Molten Salt and you will never have to worry about delivery of your molten salt mix.